It is FINALLY springtime in Boston. I know what you’re thinking, it’s almost Summer everywhere else in America, but for us, Spring comes a little late. We’ve had a few beautiful days, so naturally I’ve been out and about, but when I was ready for some downtime, we figured some fresh citrus cake was exactly what the doctor ordered.
I am heading to Rome in May, so while planning my travels and looking through maps and guides, these were the perfect snack. Rather than a heavy buttercream, we stuck with a light glaze that gives these the perfect “creamsicle” flavor.
- 1-1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 c orange zest
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbs fresh squeezed orange juice
- 4-5 tbs confectioner’s sugar
- tiny splash vanilla
- tiny splash orange extract
- cream of tartar as needed to thicken
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add in the sugar and beat on medium speed until the sugar and butter is fluffy. Beat in each egg then add the vanilla, lemon extract and lemon zest. Add in half of the dry ingredients until combined, then add in the milk and lemon juice. Add in the remaining dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way. Bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until the tops are set and a toothpick comes out clean.
- In small bowl, combine glaze ingredients, pour over cupcakes and top with granulated sugar, if desired! I added pearl dust to mine for a sparkly look.