Peanut butter blossoms are a staple memory of my childhood. My mom, being the cookie queen that she is, used to make them every holiday season rolled in green and red granulated sugar. I have recently decided that PB Blossoms should be a year-round treat. They are so easy to make, everyone loves them, and they are the perfect size so you eat 10 and still feel like you’re getting ready for swimsuit season.
While adapted from the various versions of this recipe, this is the balance I have found to taste the best. Roll it in superfine sugar of any color and suddenly, WOW! Easter cookies! St. Patrick’s Day! Red white and blue? Happy Independence Day! The world is your oyster.
Peanut Butter Blossoms
- 1/2 stick shortening
- 3/4-1 c peanut butter
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbs whole milk
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 bag Hershey kisses (unwrapped)
- extra sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In mixing bowl, combine shortening and peanut butter.
- Add sugar, egg, vanilla and milk. Mix until combined.
- In separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Add to wet mixture a little at a time.
- Roll small balls of dough in sugar (about 1 1/2 inch balls) and place on baking sheet. They will not spread much, so feel free to load it up.
- Bake for about 8-9 minutes, or until cookies are golden and starting to crack.
- Pull out of oven and immediately place one kiss in the center of each. Let sit for a moment on the tray before removing to cool.
- Kisses will keep their shape but melt instantly upon taking a bite. It’s life changing.