It is officially hour 9 of the snowstorm hitting Boston today, and based on my view from my warm, 4th floor apartment, it looks as if a foot or more has collected on my poor car below. Luckily, we are well prepared to wait things out with ample groceries and our trusty crock pot!
I love tortilla soup, and with this cold weather it is the perfect comfort. After many, many attempts, I found my perfect balance. This recipe is perfect, because you can throw everything in the crock pot, let it sit, and go about your day while your delicious dinner cooks!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1-2 lb chicken breast
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 orange bell pepper (diced)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (diced)
- 1 poblano pepper (diced)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 box chicken broth
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 package cream cheese
- Sour cream/avocado to top
- Place chicken in crock pot. Add in vegetables, broth, tomatoes, and paste. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with forks. Add chicken back into soup and mix in cream cheese.
- Serve warm topped with shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, tortilla chips, cilantro, etc. Stay warm!