Love is in the air, and in my house, so is the smell of butter and sugar (which is actually what I imagine love to smell like…) I know its a cliche to make pink cookies around Valentine’s Day, but I’m in it for the strawberries, I promise.
These shortbread cookies were tricky. Shortbread should be crunchy and buttery, and balancing the strawberry flavoring and jam while keeping the dough at a desired consistency was a constant challenge for me. I guess in the grand scheme of problems, its a good one to have. Bake these for your S.O., bake them for you, just enjoy!
- 1 c and 1 tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 c confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp Strawberry extract
- 2 1/4 c flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs strawberry preserves
- If you want a real v-day pink color, add some pink food coloring!
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- In mixing bowl, combine butter, confectioners’ sugar, extract, flour, preserves and salt. Mix on medium until mixture is incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Remove dough from bowl and wrap in plastic wrap. Put in fridge for at least one hour.
- Unwrap dough and roll out about 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut out circles, and put on baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake about 13-16 minutes or until golden brown and set.