I’ve got the winter blues real bad. Here in Boston, its been cold, overcast, and slow at work. Luckily, nature gives us a great cure – its citrus season! I ran down to my Trader Joe’s to hit up the fruits. TJ’s is great because they love having good quality and interesting produce. I grabbed every sweet citrus I could find, some chili peppers, and ran home to throw this together. Half due to delicious taste, and half due to the vitamins in this salad, my mood boosted instantly.
Sage Chili Citrus Salad
- 1 grapefruit
- 2 naval oranges
- 2 tangerines
- 2-3 blood oranges (or a whole bag of the small ones!)
- 1/2 shallot, sliced thin
- 1/2 chili pepper, diced
- 1 tsp fresh sage, diced
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar (or more to taste)
- Do you have a knife set? Does it have a small knife with a crescent moon type curved blade? That’s your paring knife, and its used in situations like this. Cut the knob ends off of the citrus fruits, and use the paring knife to remove the rind and any white. Cut into medium-thick slices.
- Mix in bowl with fresh shallots.
- In small bowl, combine red wine vinegar, chili peppers, and sage. Top salad with dressing.