Its possible this might be my best recipe of all time. Marissa, my trendiest of friends, was really on a lavender kick, and asked me to get involved. Be warned, my fellow bakers, food-grade lavender is hard to find. DO NOT use lavender extract or oil without being positive that it is not the aromatic kind and is safe for eating. When in doubt, use fresh lavender, as I did, and you can even use it to end up making syrups or garnishes. These were awesome. Citrus pairs so well with herb. I can’t wait to try out some new combinations. Try this recipe and be sure to tag me on instagram at @alyjnewt!
- 1-1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-5 lemons, zest (about one cup)
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (do not microwave)
- 3-1/2 cups to 4 cups confectioner’s sugar (based on taste or consistency)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbs fresh lavender, finely chopped
- 2 tbs cream
- two drops red food coloring
- two drops blue good coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add in the sugar and beat on medium speed until the sugar and butter is fluffy. Beat in each egg then add the vanilla, lemon extract and lemon zest. Add in half of the dry ingredients until combined, then add in the milk and lemon juice. Add in the remaining dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way. Bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until the tops are set and a toothpick comes out clean.
Beat the butter until creamy. Gradually add the confectioner’s sugar and fresh lavender. Slowly increase the speed of the mixer, beating the frosting until fluffy and well mixed. Beat in the vanilla extract and the cream. If your buttercream is too thick, add more cream. If it is too wet, add more powdered sugar (a little at a time). Once you reach your desired consistency, add the food coloring. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.