- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened/dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup finely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup coffee (room temperature)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 tbs sugar
- Strawberry jam/preserves
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt until combined.
- Then in an additional small bowl, stir together buttermilk and coffee.
- In the bowl of your mixer, mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and add in the vanilla.
- Add half the dry ingredients to butter mixture and half the buttermilk and coffee. Add the other half of the dry and the remaining buttermilk and coffee. Add the semisweet chocolate and mix until consistent.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full. Bake at 375° for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, use a knife to form a “cone” in the center of each cupcake. Fill the space with the strawberry jam (or other flavor, as preferred) before topping with whipped cream.
Whipped Cream Topping
Put your mixing bowl in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes prior to preparation. Mix your sugar and whipping cream with the whisk attachment on high speed until the mixture is fluffy and has peaks. Quickly pipe whipped cream onto cool cupcakes and top with shaved chocolate.